Douglas A. Black, Pastor
I have heard it said that there is not much support for soulwinning in the Bible. So, one day I took the time to write down the Bible reasons why I go soulwinning. Here is the result...Because I want to be wise in the Lord.
I hear Christians talk about how they want to be wise in the Lord, but yet the refuse to go soulwinning. The Lord gives soulwinners wisdom. Many times I have been ask questions while soulwinning and the Lord brings verses to the memory that answers the questions. Many I have been asked questions that I have been unable to answer. I have gone home, searched the Word for the answer and the Lord has given me the answer. People say that they will not go soulwinning because they afraid that they will get asked questions that they cannot answer. This is why they must go soulwinning.
- Prov 11:30
- The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
Our lives are so short (James 4:14). What we do here will greatly affect what we do in eternity. This is especially true of soulwinning. The following passage shows that if we turn many people to righteousness, we will shine for all eternity.
- Dan 12:2-3
- 2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.
- 3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.
The Bible call us to be a peculiar people. But are we peculiar before the world? The typical Christian hides his Christianity inside the church and never dares to show it before the world. But the Christian that takes his light out into the world and lets it shine is peculiar before the world. If you want to be peculiar for the Lord, go soulwinning.
- 1 Pet 2:9
- But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
You can be a Christian, and as long as you never go soul winning, the world does not care. But if you go soul winning, world starts to care. You become peculiar in the world's eyes.Because it puts me on the front lines and stops my armor from rusting.
A soldier without combat experience is not a real soldier. We are in the Lord's army and belong on the front lines. Soulwinning puts you on the front line. There is nothing like getting asked a question that you cannot answer, and then digging at home in your Bible until you find the answer. It teaches you how to use your sword.
- Eph 6:11-17
- 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
- 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
- 13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
- 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
- 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
- 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
- 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Someone who never used his sword in battle is a true soldier. If you want to be soldier for Christ you must go soul winning.Because I don't want blood on my hands.
If you don't go soulwinning, the blood of those souls that you would have led to Christ is on your hands.
- Ezek 33:8
- When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
I cannot imagine what it would be like to burn for all eternity. A Christian that does not have any burden for the lost does not really believe in hell.
- Revelation 20:14-15
- 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
- 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
We must try to pull them out of the fire.
- Jude 23
- And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
I cannot imagine what it would be like to live in the new heaven and earth for all eternity with Jesus Christ. The new heaven and new earth is going put this earth to shame. If you don't want to win souls to keep them out of hell, how about winning them so they can go to heaven?
- Revelation 21:1-4
- 1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
- 2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
- 3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
- 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Jesus Christ gave his life to pay for our sins and give us eternal life. Yet, Christians act as if they are ashamed of Jesus Christ and His gospel. They don't dare open their mouths outside of the safety and security of the church walls.
- Rom 1:16
- For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. Shame drives men to keep their mouths shut when they should open them for Christ.
Every Christian has the high calling to the office of Ambassador for Christ, but few fulfill that calling.
- 2 Cor 5:20
- Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
There is nothing more precious than the Gospel. It is the ticket out of hell and into heaven. And the Lord has entrusted us with His Gospel. Have you fallen short of that trust?
- 1Thes 2:4
- But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts.
If you don't go soul winning, you are falling short of God's trust in you.Because I want to bear children in Christ.
As Christians we are to bear fruit by leading people to Christ.
- 1 Cor 4:14
- For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
I like a good steak. And there is nothing like slow barbequed baby-back ribs. It's been a long time since I have eaten baby food. That is because I am no longer a baby. Christians that do not go soulwinning have a tendency to be baby Christians. They cannot answer the simplest questions from their Bibles. But a Christian that is always out there soulwinning usually knows his Bible inside and out.
- Heb 5:12
- For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
When you go soul winning, you get asked questions that you cannot answer. So, you either stop going soulwinning, or get your act together. Consistent soulwinning will turn you into a meat Christian.
- 1 Pet 3:15
- But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
Thinking back on my Christian walk, I remember the sweetest times of fellowship as those times when I am with other Christians that are trying to win souls to Christ. It is very similar to the fellowship two soldiers have that served in the same unit during one of the wars.
- Phil 4:3 3
- And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.
- And here are the verses that command us to go soulwinning...
- Acts 1:8
- But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- Psalm 126:6
- He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.
- Matt 28:19-20
- 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.